Renewable sources of energy are helping people find a feasible solution to the climate crisis and environmental pollution. One of the latest solar-powered gadgets on the market is a solar fan.
Solar-powered fans utilise solar energy to provide cooling. Many people have switched to using these fans since they reduce electricity bills.
A Solar fan, owing to its numerous advantages, has started replacing electrical fans. It’s helping people use solar energy to keep their homes comfortable during the summer months.
Let’s find out more about these fans!
What is a Solar Fan?
A solar fan is also known as a solar attic fan. It runs on solar energy, unlike regular fans that run on electrical energy from fuel.
Solar attic fans are powered by a solar panel. On a sunny day, a solar fan for home will not need any additional power sources and will provide optimum cooling.
The main function of this fan is to circulate attic air. Therefore, solar energy fans are ideal for residential and commercial buildings.
How Does A Solar Fan Work?
These fans run on solar power. They replace hot air inside the room or attic with cooler air. It reduces the burden on your home’s ventilation, heating, and air conditioning systems.
Solar attic fans work by pulling cool air from the undersides of the room. They also push hot air from the room outside.
Typically, hot air rests at the top, and cool air is at the bottom. A solar energy fan utilizes this concept to cool a room.
These fans create a regular circulation of hot and cold air in a room by causing air exchange. Experts recommend keeping your room well-ventilated to allow the air exchange to take place efficiently.
Types of Solar Fans Available in the Market
There are two types of solar attic fans available on the market
- – Roof Mounted- Roof-mounted solar fans help remove heat from the attic. You can install these fans on the ceiling to pull out the hot air and replace it with cool air. They help reduce electricity costs and extend the life of shingle rooftops.
- – Gable Mounted– Gable-mounted solar fans follow the same working mechanism as the roof-mounted ones. However, the installation process between the two is different. Besides, these fans are more suitable for areas where there’s lots of moisture and hot air, like garages, barns, small cabins, and intake grills. If there is more sunlight, the fans will work efficiently to circulate more cool air and remove the moisture.
How Do Solar Fans Generate Power?
Photovoltaic power is the cleanest source of power in the world at the moment. It does not lead to pollution of any kind.
Using solar energy to run fans is another example of putting to use the photovoltaic effect.
Solar cells transform energy from the sun into electrical energy. A solar attic fan converts this energy into electricity by using wafer-based silicon.
What Is The Pricing of a Solar Fan For Home?
The average price of a solar energy fan is expected to fall around $575-$775. The installation costs of solar energy fans will depend on the types of solar fans: gable-mounted or rooftop-mounted.
The initial price and installation costs of solar energy fans may seem like a big investment. However, it is completely beneficial in the long term.
The long-term benefits of installing a solar energy fan for the home outweigh the installation and cost price of the fan.
Advantages And Disadvantages of Using Solar Fans
If you do not pay heed, the heat difference between the attic and the roof can damage the shingles. Using a solar attic fan helps reduce the distortion risks of shingles and also helps keep the electricity costs to a minimum.
Here are some more advantages of using a solar energy fan.
- Solar Energy is Clean Energy- Solar energy is renewable. Since solar attic fans use solar energy, they do not lead to extravagant electricity bills. Owners can save up on electricity costs and reduce their carbon footprints too.
- Energy Savings– Using a solar fan to cool the attic will help reduce the energy needs for cooling the entire house. Cooling the attic helps keep the entire house cool and does not create any pressure on the HVAC system.
- Cost-Efficient- A solar energy fan is easy to install and costs less in the long run than electrical fans and air conditioners.
Disadvantages of Solar Fans
- Expensive- Solar attic fans have a higher upfront cost than electrical fans. Since they are new in the market, manufacturers have been unable to reduce the costs of assembling and producing them. However, the cost gets recovered in many ways post the installation.
- Less reliability-A solar fan will work most effectively only if the sun is bright and shining. On a humid cloudy day, a solar energy fan might even fail to function.
Why Is Solar Energy Less Popular?
Renewable sources of energy are better for the environment than non-renewable sources. They are also called clean sources of energy. They do not cause any pollution or harm to the environment.
Solar energy is the most popular and efficient form of clean energy. However, despite these advantages, it has failed to gain the popularity and recognition that it should. The reasons for this are as follows.
- – Intermittent, not Continuous– The biggest drawback of solar energy is that it can only be generated during the day and when there’s enough sunlight. This means that during a cloudy day and at night, the supply of energy might get disrupted.
- – Lack of materials– Most solar-powered devices like solar energy fans need new and rarer materials for their production. It proves to be a problem for many manufacturers.
With the ever-increasing threat of climate change and carbon emissions, many countries are looking to adopt cleaner and greener energy sources.
Solar attic fans are the most recent energy alternative available to consumers in India. A solar fan is the best way to save money and reduce pollution.
Q. Does a solar fan for home make noise while operating?
No, solar energy fans make no noise while operating. The fan’s motor is highly efficient. It does not vibrate or cause noise in the attic.
Q. Can I install a solar energy fan by myself?
Depending on the type of fan you have bought and the installation location, you can either install it yourself or contact a professional.
However, it’s not recommended to do it on your own. It’s better to let professionals do the job.
Q. How does a solar fan help save money?
Solar attic fans are powered by sunlight and help remove heat from the attic. This consequently helps in putting less pressure on the HVAC system of your house; thereby, lowering the electricity bills.