Things to Know About A Solar Generator Before Purchasing One!
Do you know what a solar generator is?
Well, a solar generator is a wonderful device that’s powered by the Sun. It works in tandem with solar panels since, without panels, no electricity will be produced in the first place.
The solar panels absorb the energy from the sunlight. A solar-powered generator then draws that energy from the solar panels and stores it in an internal storage system (mostly, a battery of some sort).
An interesting fact about these generators is that some of them are portable. This means you can carry them on the go and keep the renewable energy stored for emergencies. Quite useful, isn’t it?
They’re actually quite a useful device for campers and hikers too.
Let’s now look into some more details about these generators that run on solar power!
Major Components Of A Solar Generator And Their Role
Before knowing the pros and cons of a solar-powered generator, let’s first understand what goes into making such generators.
This generator requires an inverter, solar panels, a charge controller, and a battery to operate. Minus even a single component, the generator either won’t work or won’t work effectively.
All these components collectively function together to make Solar-driven generators the discovery that they are. Let’s understand the role of each of these components!
- – Solar Panels
As mentioned above, solar panels play a significant role in energy production. The panels convert the sun’s rays into electricity. That electricity is, however, in the form of DC (Direct current).
- – Battery
Once the solar panels start producing DC power, the solar-powered generators start storing it in a high-capacity battery.
Usually, the power is stored in lithium-ion, lead-acid, or nickel-cadmium solar batteries. These batteries store the energy for emergencies when there is less sunlight or during the night.
- – Charge Controller
A charge controller ensures that the batteries are not overcharged by limiting the battery storage capacity.
- – Inverter
Lastly, the inverter takes the Direct Current (DC) and converts it into Alternating Current (AC). This alternating current is then used for charging appliances.
Bear in mind that DC is a safety risk. Hence, a solar inverter will always be a part of a solar system so that DC power is first converted into AC power.
Hopefully, you now know what role each component plays in the working of this generator, powered by the Sun.
If yes, let’s now dive into its advantages.
Advantages Of A Solar-powered Generator
If you’re planning to purchase a solar-driven generator, you’ll be glad to know that the device has many benefits. Check the list below to understand why you should buy this generator.
- – High maintenance is not required to keep these generators working for a long time. Why? Because you’ll never have to replace the air filters, spark plugs, or fuel switches.
- – Unlike conventional generators that make a lot of noise, a solar-fuelled generator is noiseless, even while operating.
- – Since these generators do not use fuel to generate electricity, there is no chance of pollution.
- – You can use the solar-run generators at any time and place.
- – The cost of recharging is zero.
- – The carbon footprint will be reduced.
Disadvantages Of A solar-driven Generator
Although there is no shortage of advantages, solar generators do have a few cons. Luckily, the cons are outweighed by the pros.
Nevertheless, you still got to know the cons so that you can make an informed decision.
Here are the disadvantages of these generators.
- – A few solar-charged generators are sensitive to hot temperatures. Ensure to check the temperature sensitivity of a model before purchasing one.
- – Although you don’t need to pay much for the maintenance and running of the device, the solar generator price can be high during the installation. A lot also depends on the size of the generator.
In other words, you need to pay a high solar-driven generator installation cost. But that’s just a one-time thing. You won’t have to shell out a lot in maintenance later on.
- – Solar-powered generators work at their best capacity in tropical and subtropical climates. The other environments might not be very suitable.
Factors To Check While Purchasing A Solar Generator
Let’s now understand the vitalities to check before purchasing a solar-charged generator.
- – Check the power capacity of the generator. The more the wattage, the better energy it will provide.
- – Ensure to buy the generator that aligns with your power needs.
- – See if the generator provides the power expansion facility. Luckily, a few solar generators offer extra batteries.
- – Buy from a reliable brand to make the right investment.
- – Check the availability of electrical sockets and charging port outlets.
- – Understand the fast charging efficiency of the solar generators before making a purchase.
- – If you want a portable solar unit, consider the solar generator’s size. You would not want to buy a bulky solar-charged generator that is difficult to carry.
Cost Of Solar-driven Generators
If you want to purchase a solar-based generator, you might be wondering what the solar generator price is.
Well, the price of a generator depends on the size and capacity. Typically, the cost is expected to range from ₹ 7,988.88 to ₹ 79,885.90.
If you choose a 15-watt generator capable of powering laptops and cell phones, you’ll have to pay a much lower solar generator price than what you’ll have to pay for the Sun-powered generators of 1800 or 3000 watts.
You can contact the manufacturers to know the exact cost of your preferred model.
With the climate continuously impacting the environment with high temperatures, rising sea levels, and extreme weather conditions, it has become crucial to look for sustainable energy solutions.
Fortunately, Sun-powered generators contribute to clean energy; hence, have become essential to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and making the environment healthy.
Q. How can I maintain a solar generator’s efficiency?
You can maintain a solar-driven generator’s efficiency by removing the cobwebs and not letting moisture affect the device.
Besides, dust the Sun-powered generator lightly and check if all the wire connections are in place. Also, apply an anti-corrosive paste on the generator’s surface to prevent it from rusting.
Q. Is it possible to use solar generators while charging?
Yes, depending on the appliance you want to charge, you can use these generators.
If you’re going to charge a large device, the generator might not have sufficient power to charge them yet. You can charge only the equipment that can be powered with low solar generator energy.
Q. Can I charge the refrigerator with solar generators?
Yes, it is possible to charge the refrigerator with these generators.
If the power capacity of the generator aligns with that of the fridge, it can power up the equipment.