Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Price In India 2022: Working, Uses, Pros & Cons
The lithium phosphate battery (LiFePO4 battery) is a category of lithium-ion battery. Due to its long-term durability, it can perform multiple utility-scale static operations. It offers excellent performance on smartphones, electric vehicles, watches, tablets, and computers.
Made through modern technology standards, the lithium iron phosphate battery works at 125 watts per hour. The LiFePO4 has a lithium cathode and graphitic carbon electrode anode. Furthermore, this battery offers high functionality and requires zero maintenance to offer high sustainability.
A lithium phosphate battery operates at a high speed and is energy efficient. It is small and lightweight; hence, does not require a lot of space for storage.
How Does a Lithium Phosphate Battery Work?
The general configuration of lithium-ion batteries includes a cathode, an anode, an electrolyte, and a separator. The components combine to transform the chemical energy into electricity and charge the devices.
The batteries have in-built electronic controllers that manage the charging process and protect the batteries from overcharging. Hence, there’s no to very little risk of explosions or malfunction.
The two ends of the lithium phosphate battery (anode and cathode) store the lithium. Through an isolator, the electrolyte transmits the charged lithium ions to the cathode from the anode. This process releases free electrons in the anode that activates the positive current collector.
The current flows through the collector to the device and charges it up. It passes from the device to the negative current collector, and the cycle repeats until the device is fully charged.
How is a Lithium phosphate battery Made?
a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery uses lithium-ion phosphate for the cathode and have graphite carbon electrodes with a metallic backing in the anode.
Lithium iron phosphate is made with a solution of ferrous ions, lithium ions, and a phosphate-radical source solution.
The components are dissolved in a chemical compound and mixed at 90℃ to 180℃ to form lithium iron phosphate. This compound is inserted into the batteries’ cathode end. The battery’s casing is formed on a steel container to hold the electrodes in the anode and cathode efficiently.
Why Do We Need a Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery?
The lithium iron phosphate batteries are ideal for commercial applications. They have electrolytes made of lithium salt. Although lead-acid batteries are effective, lithium phosphate batteries are in demand for their high energy density.
- They offer 93% to 98% efficiency. Besides, these batteries are long-lasting and helpful in many applications.
- Lithium iron phosphate batteries are used for grid and transportation applications as they are more efficient than lead-acid batteries.
- These batteries are non-toxic, environment friendly, and offer excellent chemical and thermal stability.
- They’re much safer than lead-acid batteries.
Price Of Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries
The lithium phosphate battery price ranges from Rs. 2250 to Rs. 1.5 lakhs. This price range depends on size, shape, shelf life, storage time, sustainability to atmospheric temperatures, metals used, charge-discharge cycle, and environmental compatibility. All these factors make the batteries either cost-efficient or expensive.
The lithium phosphate battery price is high as these batteries have pure nickel, lithium, cobalt, and manganese materials. It goes through advanced manufacturing processes to become pure chemical compounds before they are used in batteries. Although expensive, they are versatile and sustain for years.
Uses Of a Lithium Phosphate Battery
The many noteworthy uses of Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are as follows:
- Due to heavy technical advantages, the lithium phosphate battery is widely used in heavy-duty applications like industrial vehicles and marine traction, and medium-duty applications like last-mile delivery, robotics, and AGV.
- Used in low-speed electric vehicles, cars, buses, and other battery-operated vehicles.
- the excellent working voltage of a lithium phosphate battery makes it ideal for use in energy-saving systems.
- Supplies power to UPS batteries.
- Operates wind power efficiently.
- Utilised in commercial plants.
- Plays an essential role in supplying power to banks, data processing centres, hospitals, chemical materials industries, and control and command centres.
Top 10 Advantages Of Using Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
A Lithium iron phosphate battery is used for commercial purposes. The benefits of the usage are as follows:
- Acquires less accommodation space.
- Requires no maintenance for long-term functionality, unlike lead-acid batteries.
- Has four times higher power density than lead-acid batteries.
- Charges quickly and has 100% storage capacity.
- Is lightweight and compact.
- Has a shelf life of 1500 cycles @ 95 amps.
- Works at extreme temperatures.
- Is safe for environmental use.
- Handles discharge currents effectively.
- Has high chemical stability and a durable casing.
Top 7 Disadvantages Of Using a Lithium Phosphate Battery
The LiFePO4 adheres to modern requirements and performs various applications. Yet, there are a few disadvantages of using a lithium iron phosphate battery:
- The circuit can burst if overheated.
- It is challenging to assemble and disassemble the unit.
- Lasts for only two or three years after manufacturing.
- Is three or four times more expensive than lead-acid batteries.
- Requires recharging before the battery drains out.
- The lithium phosphate battery cannot be regenerated when completely exhausted.
- Does not have a standard size.
The demand for lithium iron phosphate batteries has grown significantly over the years. Many car manufacturers use this battery over lead-acid batteries due to its versatility and efficiency.
It fits into electronic equipment easily and can operate for hours without malfunctioning. It has a compact configuration, easy operation, and supports various applications. It is made using high-quality standards.
In a nutshell, the lithium phosphate battery has a remarkable design that exceeds reliability and performance.
1. Is it worth purchasing a lithium ferro phosphate battery for daily use?
Yes, it is worth purchasing a lithium iron phosphate battery for long-term or daily use. However, if you’re planning to use it monthly, you can consider using lead-acid batteries.
2. What is the best way of charging lithium iron phosphate batteries?
The best way to charge lithium iron phosphate batteries is by using a lithium iron phosphate charger. The charger has the required voltage limit that helps prevent the batteries from charging beyond their total capacity.
3. Is it essential to cycle the LiFePO4’s battery?
Yes, it is essential to cycle the LiFePO4 battery. After every 6-12 months, the batteries should be cycled entirely to 100%.