5Kw Inverter: Its Working, Types, Features, Specifications & More
A Solar energy inverter or a photovoltaic inverter is one of the most vital components of the solar PV system. It is often called the brain of the entire system.
A solar inverter converts DC electricity produced by the solar panels into AC electricity.
An on-grid 5kw inverter is easy to maintain and converts the direct current to alternating current for powering domestic appliances and even commercial equipment.
These solar inverters typically offer high efficiency of around 93% to 96%. Also, the warranty period of these inverters is around 5-10 years.
The corresponding price range for these devices is comparatively reasonable in the present times.
If you are intrigued, let us explore more details about a 5kw inverter: its features, specifications, uses, and more.
Working of a 5kw Inverter
After the panel produces the power, the solar inverter is the second most crucial component of a solar array.
A 5kw Inverter receives DC input voltage from the PV panels and turns it into AC power supply.
A typical solar inverter involves a step-up transformer, voltage regulator, Mosfet driver, and various other small electronics components. The inverter may have a single-phase output AC supply or can be a three-phase inverter.
A single-phase inverter runs under a voltage range between 190V and 250V. The advanced 5kw solar inverters embrace a pre-programmed microcontroller that executes different algorithms accurately.
This component amplifies the productivity of the solar panels with the help of the MPPT algorithm.
5Kw inverter types you should know
On a broad scale, there are three 5Kw inverter types which are explained here. Have a look!
- – String Inverters: String inverters are solar inverters that are connected to a string of attached rooftop PV modules. Usually, a solar installation has one string inverter in it.
- – Micro Inverters: These solar inverters are very small devices that are connected directly to an individual solar panel to offer AC power output. Due to their small size, these devices are known as micros. Microinverters are a significant inverter option for solar panels installed on complex rooftops.
- – SolarEdge Optimizer: The SolarEdge Power Optimizer inverters are devices that are connected to all PV panels in a solar array. Notably, these devices turn solar panels into smart panels. They’re the most advanced type of inverters out there in the market. They elevate the power output of the solar array by using the Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) technology. This helps to raise revenues in commercial workplaces.
Technologies of a 5Kw Inverter
The 5kw solar inverters work on either of two technologies mentioned below:
- – PWM Solar Inverter Technology – The PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) technology solar inverter works by producing constant amplitude pulses with distinct duty cycles for every period. Then, it modulates the width of these pulses to achieve control of the output voltage.
However, PWM technology has become obsolete in the present times. It’s the MPPT technology that’s used nowadays. Let’s discuss it.
- – MPPT Solar Inverter Technology – Presently, the best solar inverters across the market are MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) technology-based solar inverters. Such inverters provide the highest efficiency, somewhere around 95% to 97%. All the high-efficiency On-Grid or grid-tied inverters usually have the MPPT technology.
Features of a 5kw Inverter
Now, let us discuss some significant features of the 5kw solar inverter:
- – The 5kw solar inverters are transformerless units.
- – These inverters have an ultra-wide input voltage range.
- – The 5kw inverter offers a maximum efficiency of more than 98.3%.
- – These inverters come with an advanced dual MPPT design that has an accurate MPPT algorithm.
- – The model design of these 5kw solar inverters is compact and has an easy & convenient installation.
- – There is Wi-Fi connectivity and a monitoring app available with these devices, along with multiple protection levels for safety.
- – The standard warranty period for these solar inverters is five years (extendable up to 10 years).
Product Specifications of a 5Kw Inverter
You must know that the product specifications of 5KW solar inverters differ with different brands, types, and technology available across the market.
Generally, the 5kw inverter has the product specifications listed below:
- – Technology – Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) or Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT). The latter is used nowadays. PWM is obsolete.
- – Type – String, Microinverter, or SolarEdge Optimizer.
- – Phase- Single phase or three-phase inverter.
- – Battery Support – 12V, 24V, 48V, 96V, & 120V.
- – Features – LCD, transformerless, multiple inverters can be operated in parallel, overcharging protection, etc.
- – Switches- Reset switch for System On/Off, LCD configuration, and navigation controls – Up, down, Enter, back, etc.
Technical Specifications of a 5Kw Inverter
Here are the technical specifications of a 5kw solar inverter.
- – Input Aspects
|Maximum Input Power (KW)||5.8|
|Maximum Input Voltage (V)||600|
|Startup Input Voltage (V)||120|
|Maximum Input DC Voltage Range (V)||100-500|
|Maximum Input Current (A)||15+15|
|MPPT Number/ No. of Strings per MPPT||2,1|
- – Output Aspects
|Rated Output Power (KW)||3|
|Rated AC Grid Voltage (V)||220/230/240|
|AC Grid Voltage Range (V)||180-270 (Adjustable)|
|Nominal AC Output Current (A)||21.7|
|Maximum AC Output Current (A)||123.8|
|Output Power Factor||>0.99|
|Grid Current THD||< 3%|
|DC Injection Current (mA)||< 20|
|Rated Grid Frequency (Hz)||50|
- – Efficiency Aspects
Prices of 5Kw Solar Inverter in India
Now, let us explore the pricing aspect of the 5kw solar inverters.
You must know that the price of a 5kw inverter accounts for about 25% to 30% of the cost of the entire solar system.
Notably, the per watt prices of these solar inverters range from ₹ 6 – 20 /watt, according to the type & technology of the device, i.e., grid-tied, off-grid, or Microinverter.
Besides, different factors affect the prices of 5kw solar inverters, such as inverter technology, efficiency, warranty period, and brand.
- – The general price range in India for a 5Kw, 1-phase solar inverter is approximately between ₹28,000 to ₹33,000
- – The general price range in India for a 5Kw, 3-phase solar inverter is approximately between ₹ 50,000 to ₹ 55,000.
Difference between 5Kw Solar Inverter and Normal Inverter
|Normal Inverter||5kw Solar Inverter|
|A normal inverter is a basic device that can only deal with AC (alternating current), i.e., electricity from the grid.||The 5kw inverter is a more advanced device that utilises solar energy (DC power) and gives AC power output.|
|You have to have a battery for running a normal inverter.||A solar inverter can operate with a battery as well as without one.|
Pros & Cons of a 5kw Inverter
Let us learn the pros and cons of a 5kw inverter.
- – These solar inverters help save money by minimising utility bills to a great extent.
- – They act as a power source for a broad range of power capacities. Hence, they can be used in small households as well as electrical distribution companies.
- – They can operate all types of domestic, commercial, and industrial loads, such as motors, heaters, etc.
- – The overall DC output voltage of the solar panels must hit the lower DC voltage level of the solar inverter.
- – A 5KW solar inverter is a bit pricey. However, it’s worth the price.
- – A 5kw solar inverter relies on PV solar panels.
A solar inverter is one of the most important components of a solar-powered system.
A 5kw inverter offers an ideal solar inverter output capacity for conversion of the solar energy from the solar panels into usable electricity.
There are various factors affecting the buying decision of this device. You must consider all the critical factors before making your final decision.
Q1. Does a 5kw inverter require high maintenance?
No, a 5kw inverter calls for very little maintenance. Once its proper installation is ensured, you just need to keep it clean. Clean the dust, debris, and cobwebs regularly. Keep it in a well-ventilated place.
Q2. How many solar modules are required to be installed with a 5kw inverter?
To ascertain the number of modules required with 5kw solar inverters, here’s a calculation.
If you select a module of 350 Wp, and the total required wattage is 5 KW (5000 watts), then:
- – The total number of modules required = 5000 / 350 = 14
Hence, you will require about 14 photovoltaic solar modules for your solar system of 5 KW.
Q3. Which are the most popular solar inverters for solar panels?
On-grid microinverters are the most preferred type of solar inverter.