A Detailed Guide on a 10 Watt Solar Panel: Types, Price, Benefits, and More
Did you know about 10-watt solar panels? This guide will tell you everything you need to know about these photovoltaic modules. Let’s begin by discussing what a 10 watt solar panel does.
Like other solar panels, a 10W solar panel is a device that can collect energy from sunlight and convert it to electrical energy.
The only difference is that it can generate 12-volt power while the others can create more power.
With this capacity, the ten-watt solar panels can power small devices like mobile phones, tablets, and videocassette recorders in boats and caravans.
We will look into applications in detail shortly, but let’s first understand how the 10W solar panels function.
How Does a 10 Watt Solar Panel Work?
When sun rays fall on the 10-watt PV panels, the panels absorb the energy and convert it into DC power.
The DC energy is converted into AC current that’s used to operate the small-power-consuming devices.
Due to their mini size, ten-watt solar panels are good to carry in outdoor locations.
Whenever you need to charge your mobile phone, you can simply place the solar panels in the sun’s direction.
Then, connect one end of your mobile charging cable with the panel and the other with your phone to charge your device.
There’s no denial of the fact that these solar panels are quite useful in places where there are no electricity resources.
Types of a 10 Watt Solar Panel
Now, let us discuss the two important types of 10-watt solar modules (panels): Monocrystalline and Polycrystalline.
- – The monocrystalline 10W solar panels provide 19% to 20% energy efficiency, whereas the polycrystalline 10W solar panels offer 16% to 17% energy output.
The difference between the efficiency is because the former is made of single silicon cells, and the latter is composed of multiple silicon cells.
- – For this reason, monocrystalline modules are expensive, whereas polycrystalline ones are cost-effective.
Regarding the cost, read the next segment to know the price of a 10-watt solar module.
Pricing of a 10 Watt Solar Panel
When pricing is concerned, all 10-watt panels do not have the same price. This is because the brand and the panel type affect the cost.
Usually, if it is a monocrystalline 10 watt solar panel, the price ranges between Rs. 270 to Rs. 330. However, for a 10 watt polycrystalline solar panel, the cost ranges from Rs. 230 to Rs. 280.
Specifications of a 10 Watt Solar Panel
Every solar panel has different specifications that make them distinct from the others.
If we talk about the cells involved in making 10-watt monocrystalline solar panels, the manufacturers use mono cells.
In contrast, multiple crystalline cells are used to manufacture polycrystalline 10W solar panels.
Both these types come with a warranty period.
- – The manufacturing defect warranty: 2 to 5 years.
- – The output performance warranty: 5 to 10 years.
Benefits of 10W Solar Panels
Not sure whether to buy a 10 watt solar panel or not? Check out the benefits listed below. They might help you in making a decision.
- – These panels will operate in remote places just as well as in any other urban place.
- – Due to their rigid composition, the 10W solar panels provide high efficiency.
- – They are small in size; hence, portable.
- – Because of their small size, they are also lightweight.
- – The 10-watt PV panels can be used in solar gardens, boats, and motorhomes.
Cons of a 10W Solar Panel
Let’s study the drawbacks of a 10 watt solar panel:
- – Since 10-watt solar panels can supply only 12 volts of energy, you’ll need more solar panels to fulfil your needs.
- – They do not charge mobile phones when the sun goes down.
Now that you know the pros and cons of using 10-watt PV panels, let’s learn how many 10-watt PV panels you need to charge your appliances.
How Many 10-Watt Solar Panels Do You Need?
The number of 10-watt solar panels you need to power your electronic devices depends on how much energy output you require for the charging purpose.
When it comes to solar panels with higher wattages, you can calculate the number of panels needed by dividing the capacity of the solar system you need by the wattage of the panel.
But, since 10-watt is too small, it can’t be used to make a solar system in kilowatts. That’s why it’s used to charge very small devices.
Applications of a 10 Watt Solar Panel
Moving on, there are four most important uses for 10-watt PV panels. Let’s know each of them.
- The 10-watt PV panel is ideal for charging lights in boats or caravans.
- As discussed above, you can use these solar panels to charge mobile phones.
- Operating fountains and fans are the other uses of 10-watt solar panels.
- Radios and watches can also be charged using these panels.
Subsidy on 10 Watt Solar Panel
If you have already made up your mind and want to purchase 10-watt solar modules (panels), you might wonder if the Government provides subsidies on 10-watt solar panels.
The answer is no! 10-watt solar panels are very small. Govt. Subsidies are offered to make a solar system economical. Usually, a panel has to be at least 330 watts to be eligible for a subsidy.
Usually, the government offers:
- – 40% of L1 prices on 1KW-3KW solar systems for homes.
- – 20% of L1 costs on above 3 and up to 10KW solar systems for homes.
- – If yours is a housing society, the 20% subsidy on L1 rates is provided for rooftop installations up to 500 KW.
There’s no subsidy incentive for commercial and industrial purposes.
A 10 watt solar panel is a perfect choice for charging small appliances. Besides, they are convenient to carry, handle and use.
If you have never had an experience with a solar panel before, you can begin your journey with 10-watt solar panels.
Apart from being easy to use, they are also cost-effective. Furthermore, they can be used for multiple applications.
Q. Is a 10 watt solar panel sufficient for charging pumps and lights?
Yes, a 10 watt solar panel provides 12 volts that are sufficient for charging pumps and lights.
Q. What will a 10 Watt Solar panel run?
It will run devices like mobile phones, watches, and solar garden lights.
Q. Can 10-watt solar panels generate power even on cloudy days?
Yes, 10-watt solar panels can generate power on dull or cloudy days. It won’t be as efficient as bright, sunny days though.