12 Volt Solar Panel: Features, Application, Advantages, and Disadvantages
Nowadays, various solar panels are available in the market, concerning a broad range of power. When buying solar panels is considered, a 12v solar panel is one good option.
Notably, 12-volt solar panels are very convenient, safe, and versatile, capable of powering different domestic and remote applications.
Moreover, the affordable 12 volt solar panel price makes it one of the most commonly used solar panels.
These 12v photovoltaic solar panels are fabricated from solar cells made of silicon. Such cells have a positive and a negative layer that helps generate an electric field.
As these panels receive sunlight, they generate an electric current. This current gets transferred through the wires and components in the solar system for operating electrical appliances.
If you want to know more about a 12V solar panel, dive in. We have explained the 12 volt solar panel price, its features, benefits, more.
Product Details of a 12V Solar Panel
The 12-volt solar panels are highly versatile. The specific product details differ from one panel to another, depending on different brands and models available in the market.
Here are the general product details that are usually similar for all 12-volt solar panels.
- – Concerning the panel technology, the product can be a 12v monocrystalline solar panel or a polycrystalline panel.
- – The 12v monocrystalline solar panel is black-coloured and is highly energy efficient. Whereas the 12-volt polycrystalline panels are blue and are comparatively less energy efficient but cheaper.
- – The 12 volt solar panel price per kw for poly panels is approximately Rs. 25.5. For mono panels, the range is approximately Rs. 30 to Rs. 31.
- – Notably, these panels have an output performance warranty of around 10 to 15 years.
Besides, a 12V solar panel should always be used in conjunction with a 12-volt battery (ideally a lithium battery), a 12-volt inverter, and a charge controller of a minimum of 12 volts.
Features of 12 Volt Solar Panels
Some considerable features of 12-volt PV panels are as follows:
- – A 12v solar panel is very compact and easy to carry around. It is a convenient stand-alone PV panel that traps sunlight to convert solar energy into electrical energy.
- – These are a source of green electricity as they generate clean and renewable power by harnessing the power of the sun.
- – The 12-volt solar panels are efficient and convenient. They can power household appliances, and electrical devices like refrigerators, laptops, etc.
- – These solar panels are relatively efficient in cool temperatures. It is because when solar panels get highly heated, they generate less energy. Besides, in snowy weather, solar panels usually generate heat enough to melt the snow from them.
Applications of a 12V Solar Panel
Being lightweight and portable, the 12-volt solar panels can run several appliances such as garden lighting, mobile and laptops, refrigerators, solar water pumps, etc.
They can also be used for power supply to street lights, tourist vans, shops, offices, fishing boats, etc.
Besides, they can be used to heat water in remote areas.
Notably, a 12-volt solar panel is easy to carry along, so it is widely used while travelling and camping. It can be used as a power source at campsites or on the go.
Benefits of a 12V Solar Panel
Now, let us review some major benefits of these solar panels.
- – These portable solar panels are a great option for people who travel frequently. These solar panels are handy and can be conveniently carried along.
- – Another considerable benefit of these 12-volt solar panels is that they call for very less maintenance. Besides, they are not likely to break down or lose functionality easily, and their repair parts are handily available.
- – The 12v solar panel arrays are the common solar array setups. Hence, the inverters, fuses, batteries, and other 12v appliances compatible with them are readily available in the market.
- – Buying a 12v monocrystalline solar panel will help you to save money in the long run. The initial cost incurred in installing a solar panel soon starts giving returns by cutting down your monthly electricity bills.
5 Best 12V Solar Panels You Can count on
There are various parameters to analyse and select the most feasible solar panel that suits your needs. It is sometimes difficult to decide which one to choose between numerous product options available in the market lately.
For your reference, here are the five best 12-volt solar panels by reputable brands that you may consider.
- Waaree Polycrystalline Solar Panel – 12V by Helios Energy Private Limited
- Bluebird Solar Polycrystalline Solar Power Panel – 12V, 150 W by Bluebird Solar Private Limited
- The Lightweight, Semi-Flexible 5W Polycrystalline Solar Panel – 12V SuRCLe by Surcle Technology Private Limited
- 60W Polycrystalline Solar PV Panel – 12V by Raya Renewable Energy Solutions
- Qorx Energy 12V Monocrystalline Solar Panel – 70 W by Qorx Energy
The 12v solar panel price and other key specifications for these products vary with different brands, types, and models.
Difference between 12V Solar Panel and 24V Solar Panel
So, whether you should opt for a 12V or a 24V solar panel? Well, there are different technicalities to consider, let us discuss them!
- – Number of Solar Cells
A 12-volt solar panel has 36 PV cells in it. On the other hand, a 24V panel is composed of twice the number of solar cells, i.e.,72 cells.
- – Suitability
The 12-volt panels are suitable for small basic needs in small homes. Whereas the 24-volt panels are used in large homes, apartments, offices, banks, hospitals, etc.
- – Battery Compatibility
Usually, a 12V panel must be used with a 12V battery, and a 24V panel must be used with a 24V battery.
However, 24V batteries are unavailable in the market so you can join two 12v batteries in a series.
- – Inverter Compatibility
A 12-volt solar panel must be paired with a 12v inverter, whereas a 24v solar panel must be paired with a 24v inverter.
- – Charge Controller Compatibility
A 12v charge controller must be used with a 12-volt panel. Contrastingly, a 24v charge controller is used with a 24v panel.
Here, please note that the rating of solar panels must not be higher than the rating of charge controllers.
- – Expensive
Being a larger power module, the cost of the 24v solar panel is higher than the 12v solar panel price.
Why choose SolarSquare?
We, at SolarSquare, offer prefabricated mounting structures.
Wondering what’s special about these structures? Well, here are the details:
- – They’re elevated from the ground so that you still have the rooftop to yourself after installing the solar system
- – The mounting structures are so strong that they won’t collapse even under high wind speeds up to 150 kmph.
- – They are built to last a lifetime since they can easily withstand extreme weather variations
- – They’re zinc-coated. So, forget about rusting
That being said, we offer many other attractive services just for our customers.
- – Our installation team is well-versed in using ultramodern equipment to ensure the safe and sound installation of the solar system
- – We offer a 0% six-month EMI scheme to our customers
- – We offer a quick, 10-minute loan approval
- – We offer a 5-year AMC contract. Your solar system is our responsibility
- – We use special equipment and brushes to clean any dirt, debris, or bird droppings from the surface of the panels
Register with us to find out more about our offerings.
Installing a 12V solar panel is worthwhile to become energy independent.
These panels can ensure a reliable and consistent power supply and save money on utility costs.
Don’t let the myth of solar panels being unaffordable fool you any longer. You can also get a subsidy on the installation of solar systems for homes and housing societies.
Q1. What all can I power from my 12v solar panel?
A 12V solar panel can supply the ideal amount of current to help charge smartphones, lightbulbs, RVs, and garden lights.
Q2. How long-lasting are the 12 volt solar panels?
If handled with good care, solar panels could easily last over 25 years.
Q3. What are the limitations of 12v solar panels?
Firstly, due to the low voltage of a 12v solar panel, it tends to lose a lot of heat over a long distance. Secondly, a 12v panel is only compatible with other 12v appliances or devices.